A Short Flight North

Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 by Jaxon S


I am writing this about six hours before my flight to Kuala Lumpur from Singapore. It's just a short flight north but nevertheless a significant one becuase that would be my first since I started this blog as part of my effort to deal with Aviophobia or the fear of flying.

Previously I've refrained myself from thinking about what could go wrong in a flight so as not to aggravate the fear -- what I don't know can't hurt me -- but still I find it rather difficult to remain calm in a flight.

By blogging about the issue, I am unrestraining myself from thinking just about anything that could happen to a flight.

I said, okay, let's face it...read anything you can about flight accidents, air crashes, about flight security, aircraft maintenance, how a feather-less giant iron and fibre can fly, and whatnots. You can't run away from a flight so why don't you just turn back and face your demon!

So, I am flying today for about 50 minutes, that is -- long enough to scare me, hell, even a 25-minute flight from Kota Kinabalu to Labuan can scare the shit out of me! Wish me luck, will you?

4 Responses to "A Short Flight North":

Randi says:

Hey - how did your flight go? This is your blog buddy from the U.S. (you found my blog when searching aviophobia). When I have more time, I'll devote a post on my blog specifically to how I deal with my fear (I fly a lot now).

You survived, right? Saw you posted a few days later :)

Jaxon S says:

yeah, i survived. my luggage had its little adventure, however. it was misloaded into another flight. i got reunited with it about six hours later!

Gladys says:

Hey..I've got trauma and am afraid to fly after i experienced my first turbulence few months ago. It was terrifying, and i could not shake off the fear untill today. I have started flying since i was five years old, and i used to enjoy getting to the airport, getting onto flights. I've got to fly this coming Wednesday from KL-Ho Chi Minh city..I don't know what to do

Jaxon S says:

KL-Ho Chi Minh city is less than two hours away, you'll be fine.

The actual flight time is less because the time the plane takes to taxi from the parking bay to the runway at the airport of origin and to the parking bay at the airport of destination is counted as flight time.

I once flew for 13 hours non-stop from KL to a city in Europe and another 13 hours of return flight to KL about a week later and all throughout the flight I was deeply worried about what might happen. Imagine how difficult it was...