Fly Off Fear. Can We?

Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 by Jaxon S

Marita Paige of A Leaf Off The Page of Marita's Life ask me in her comment, do I fly a lot. I don't.

That probably is one of the factors contributing to my flying woes. I don't fly often and therefore I can't get used to being on a flight. Therefore, I am afraid to fly. It's like meeting someone new. If you get to meet that someone often, you can become comfortable with that person.

But I had flown in many types of air transporters -- from 8-seater and 12-seater light aircrafts which I've forgotten the make, to the Fokker 50 and the commercial passenger planes by Boeing and Airbus. Had also been on a de Haviland Beechcraft flights and C130 militry transport aircraft. Island-hopping on Nuri helicopter, criss-crossing Sabah on a Bell helicopters in the 90's, and circling around Mount Kinabalu on a Russian made Mi-17 helicopter.

The longest flight I've flown so far was in 2003 along this route: Kota Kinabalu-Kuala Lumpur-Amsterdam-Stockholm. 3 days stop. Then Stockholm-Nice. 3 days stop. Then Nice-Paris-Frankfurt-Kuala Lumpur-Kota Kinabalu.

Not a single incident happened on those flights. Still, I am afraid to fly. Even a short 25 minutes of flight from Kota Kinabalu to Labuan can freak me out.

Perhaps it's because I had also seen crash sites, smelled the smell of charred bodies of air crash victims.

1 comments:

Anonymous says:

Hey, I'd really like it if we could communicate about our fear of flying. I do have to fly a lot, and no matter how many times I do it, the jitters are always there. I am getting better, but it's great to meet a fellow countryperson with the same issue, and I'd like to chat more about it. Email me? (maritap@myjaring.net)